Every year on her birthday, Gloriana Elston, 12, from Hastings, finds a project to pay it forward. Her parents, Anne and Shannon Elston, always support her efforts. This year, they are holding a series of fundraisers for her “honorary Uncle” Curt Pavlik.
Pavlik, 39, also from Hastings, graduated from Hastings High and is works full time in town. He was badly injured on April 1, 2006 from an accidental gunshot wound to his face. Operations to correct the damage followed, but he has exhausted his insurance. However, he still needs facial reconstruction of his jaw. Since regular dentures won't work in the reconstrucion, he also needs teeth implants.
“My family loves him and wants to see the best for him. We want to help him move on, eat real food again, meet the women of his dreams, get married, to just let his dreams come true. He has a heart of gold and compassion for others.
“I know we can do this; we live in an amazing small town,” Gloriana said.
To help, go to www.gofundme.com, 2PD57C4.
The list of fundraisers includes:
* Feb. 2, Dine for dinner at Kloosterman’s Sports Tap Bar & Restaurant, Hastings, and a portion of the proceeds will be donated.
* Feb. 25, Silent auction, bake sale and LuLaroe fundraiser, 218 West Main Street, Middleville, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
* March 16, Art on Canvas Ladies Night 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. Lake Sunset Painting, County Seat, Hastings, $35 per person.
* March 25, AYCE pancake breakfast, Living Waters Church, South Hanover, Hastings, 8 a.m. to 11 a.m., minimum $3 donation.
* April 8, Art on Canvas, Mommy & Me Day, County Seat, Hastings, $25 per person, noon to 3 p.m., You Are My Sunshine painting.
For more information and updates, visit #glorysbirthdaywish.
Photo: Gloriana Elston and Curt Pavlik.