Since the Gaines Township Community Alert issued on Feb. 14, there have been two additional vehicles broken into and three vehicles stolen in the township; two were stolen last night.
High density neighborhoods and multi-family communities are the targeted areas. There is evidence that suspects are walking up to many vehicles parked outside and finding them locked. However, the stolen vehicles were unlocked and keys left inside. Residents are asked to spread the word to neighbors to lock all vehicles.
Residents are also encouraged to:
* Lock vehicles, especially when parked outside.
* Keep valuables out of sight.
* Close garage doors and lock service doors.
* Do not leave firearms in a vehicle.
* Do not leave the keys inside a vehicle, even if it’s parked in a garage.