The Barry-Eaton District Health Department will host free hearing and vision clinics for school-age children in Barry County on Thursday, August 17 and in Eaton County on Friday, August 18.
Appointments are required. To schedule an appointment in Eaton County, call 517-541-2630. In Barry County, call 269-798-4133. Clinics are open from 8 a.m. to noon.
The clinics are at the health department offices in Barry County at 330 West Woodlawn Avenue in Hastings; in the Eaton County office at 1033 Health Care Drive in Charlotte.
For more information about hearing and vision screening at the health department, visit https://goo.gl/3wg2Ad.//
Why should you get your child screened?
* All children must have a hearing and vision screen before entering kindergarten.
* More than one million children in Michigan will need eye care by the time they reach high school graduation age.
* Approximately 10,000 Michigan children begin each school year without adequate vision.
* Screening can help your child succeed in school. An undiagnosed hearing and vision problem can interfere with your child’s development.
* Five percent of children screened for hearing are referred to a specialist. Ten percent of children screened for vision are referred to a specialist.
* Early diagnosis and treatment can help prevent temporary difficulties from becoming permanent problems.