On the afternoon of Monday, March 9th Barry-Eaton District Health Department (BEDHD) became aware of a potential COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) concern at Greyhound Intermediate School in Eaton Rapids after it became known that a school employee had returned to work after traveling in Italy. Travelers returning from countries with widespread, sustained transmission of COVID-19 (Italy, Iran, China, and South Korea) are advised to self-quarantine at home for 14 days.
The school employee has not had symptoms of COVID-19 at this time, however the individual was at work for one school day on March 9, 2020, and will be under self-quarantine at home for the remainder of the 14-day period. BEDHD believes the risk to students, staff, and visitors is minimal at this time.
BEDHD staff are working collaboratively with the school to minimize the risk of any potential spread of COVID-19. BEDHD staff have interviewed the school employee and will be staying in daily contact during the self-quarantine period. BEDHD staff have also provided cleaning guidance to the school.
At this time, BEDHD believes that persons who attended work or school alongside the individual on March 9th, 2020, are at very low risk of contracting COVID-19 (novel coronavirus). We are NOT recommending that persons who came in contact with the individual self-quarantine at this time. People who are not experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 do not need to be tested for COVID-19 at this time.
The spread of COVID-19 and other illnesses can be prevented using several methods. Individuals should:
• Wash their hands for 20 seconds with soap and water, especially immediately after coughing, sneezing, or blowing their nose.
• Avoid touching their face with unwashed hands.
• Clean surfaces that are touched frequently with an EPA-approved cleaner.
• When returning from a country with widespread, sustained transmission of COVID-19, stay home and self-monitor for symptoms for 14 days. Keep distance with other people (social distancing).
• When sick with fever, cough, or difficulty breathing trouble breathing seek medical care and call ahead before going to a doctor’s office or emergency room.
• Do not travel while sick.
• Cover their mouth and nose with a tissue or their sleeve (not their hands) when coughing or sneezing.
BEDHD also reminds the community that those travelers returning from countries with sustained community spread (China, Iran, Italy, and South Korea), read and follow the CDC’s guidance on self-quarantine in order to minimize risk for others. These instructions can be found here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/index.html