Testing through the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) has identified Eaton County’s first positive case for coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). The individual is an 88-year-old female Eaton County resident whose travel history includes domestic travel. The Barry-Eaton District Health Department (BEDHD) will contact people who have been in close contact with the patient, and will assess for symptoms and quarantine and monitor appropriately.
Colette Scrimger, Barry-Eaton District Health Officer, stated, “We understand many in the community are concerned about the spread of COVID-19. Barry-Eaton District Health Department will be acting quickly using methods such as contact tracing, quarantine, and isolation for impacted individuals to reduce the risk of illness in Eaton County.”
As a precaution, BEDHD is asking anyone with symptoms of COVID-19 to self-isolate for 14 days to avoid potentially exposing others. COVID-19 symptoms may appear in as few as two days or as long as 14 days after exposure to the virus. Symptoms include fever, cough and shortness of breath.
To prevent the spread of COVID-19, people should:
• Wash their hands.
• Stay home when sick.
• Avoid close contact with sick people.
• Avoid touching their face.
• Disinfect commonly touched surfaces.
• Avoid shaking hands.
• Follow suggested guidelines for social distancing.
For social distancing, we recommend the following:
• Keep six feet between yourself and others when possible.
• Avoid public places at their busiest times.
• Work from home when possible.
• Cancel gatherings of more than 50 people as required by Michigan law. However, it is recommended gatherings not exceed 10 people.
• Limit travel.
People who are concerned that they may have COVID-19 should contact their healthcare provider and call ahead before visiting any healthcare facility. Mildly ill people are encouraged to stay home and contact their healthcare provider by phone for guidance. If you feel well, you do not need to be tested. Testing is determined based on risk assessment.