The Wayland/Yankee Springs Township Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire at a residence located at 196 North Patterson Road, Saturday evening at approximately 8pm. Barry County Central Dispatch said there was a fire behind the fireplace, in the wall and attic of the home. The residence had been evacuated upon the Firefighters arrival.
Automatic Mutual Aid set up a few years ago sent Thornapple Twp. Emergency Services to assist. The Orangeville Twp. Volunteer Fire Department was requested immediately, knowing more personnel and water was going to be needed.
First arriving Firefighters reported heavy black smoke with flames through the roof on the living quarters end of the residence as well as flames coming from the ridge vent.
Firefighters were hampered with 9 degree temperatures while fighting the blaze.
Mutual aid was requested for Water Tenders from the Martin & Leighton Twp. Fire Departments.
Fire Department’s cleared the fire scene at 3:30am. No injuries were reported.
Also assisting were Consumers Energy, Michigan State Police, Thornapple Twp. EMS, Allegan Co. and Barry Co. Central Dispatch Centers.