National News
Subscribe To This Feed

smolaw11/iStock(MCALESTER, Okla.) -- Police arrested an Oklahoma teenager with a semi-automatic rifle this week after she allegedly threatened to target her former high school and "shoot 400 people for fun."

Alexis Wilson, 18, was arrested at her home on Monday after allegedly telling coworkers at a pizza restaurant in McAlester, Oklahoma, about 90 miles south of Tulsa, that she purchased a new AK-47 and had the urge to shoot people, according to police.

The coworkers reported Wilson's comments after she left, claiming she had showed them videos and images of her firing the rifle and noted that "there were so many people" at McAlester High School, where she previously attended, that she would like to shoot, according to an incident report.

Officers with the Pittsburg County Sheriff’s Office said they found the rifle in Wilson's bedroom, as well as a 12-gauge shotgun, six high-capacity magazines and rounds of ammunition. She was charged with a felony for making a terrorist threat against the school.

"This is probably everybody's biggest fear in the United States right now -- a school shooting," Pittsburg County Sheriff Chris Morris told ABC News in an interview Tuesday. "Lots of people don't want to acknowledge that this, an active shooter or school violence, is probably the biggest threat in America right now."

He said he was proud of his deputies for acting fast on the claims because all threats of this nature must be taken seriously in today's climate.

"There's no time to sit around and wait on it. I don't want one of my schools in my county shot up. I don't want anybody hurt," he said. "So when I got the information, I spoke with my deputies and I told them not to go home until they had it resolved and taken care of."

Officials at McAlester High School said Wilson dropped out during her freshman year and had previously been suspended for bringing a knife to school and having a swastika symbol on her belongings, investigators said.

Wilson told police that she had recently completed a program at a camp for troubled youth and tried to enroll back into McAlester High School, but they didn't allow her to, according to the incident report.

Investigators said she seemed "very upset" about not being allowed to return to school, but she denied being mad about it. She said she was previously angry about being bullied by other students, but not anymore.

"Alexis also then stated to me that she used to be suicidal and border line homicidal to the people of Mcalester School because she was bullied," one of the arresting officers wrote in the incident report. "I asked Alexis if she had thought about hurting anyone at the school and she stated not recently but she has in the past."

Wilson was being held on $250,000 bond at the Pittsburg County Jail as of late Tuesday. She pleaded not guilty at her arraignment on Monday and is scheduled to appear in court again on Sept. 27.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

danchooalex/iStock(ALBANY, New York) -- New York state has banned the sale of flavored e-cigarettes amid growing national concern about the safety of the products.

The ban went into effect after being approved by the state's Public Health and Health Planning Council Tuesday afternoon.

New York is the first state to enact such a ban, although Michigan lawmakers have approved a similar ban but are working out details.

This comes days after New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo issued an emergency executive order banning the sale of flavored e-cigarettes.

"It is undeniable that vaping companies are deliberately using flavors like bubblegum, Captain Crunch and cotton candy to get young people hooked on e-cigarettes -- it's a public health crisis and it ends today," Cuomo said in a statement issued after the panel's decision.

"New York is not waiting for the federal government to act, and by banning flavored e-cigarettes we are safeguarding the public health and helping prevent countless young people from forming costly, unhealthy and potentially deadly life-long habits," he added.

The governor made his intentions known earlier, calling for people to stop smoking e-cigarettes until more is known about their ingredients after a number of hospitalizations and deaths in recent weeks.

At a news conference earlier this month, Cuomo said "common sense" would suggest that "if you don't know what you are smoking, don't smoke it, and right now we don't know."

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

LPETTET/iStock(NEW YORK) -- Another parent has been arrested in connection to the so-called "Varsity Blues" college admissions scandal, this time for allegedly spending $400,000 to get her son a spot at the University of California-Los Angeles.

The Department of Justice announced Tuesday that a Chinese woman based in Canada named Xiaoning Sui has been arrested in Spain in connection to her alleged efforts to get her son into UCLA.

Sui, 48, faces one count of conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services fraud. She is being detained in Spain but the Department of Justice notes that authorities plan to extradite her to Boston.

The indictment, which was unsealed on Tuesday in federal court, details how Sui allegedly agreed to pay the college admissions scandal's alleged ringleader Rick Singer $400,000 to have her son be pitched as a soccer recruit to UCLA to gain admission to the school.

An alleged co-conspirator named Laura Janke reportedly made a fake soccer profile for Sui's son, who is not named in the Department of Justice news release and whose age is also not shared.

Janke is cooperating with the government's investigation and previously plead guilty, the release states.

Sui allegedly made two payments to Singer's fake charitable organization, the first for $100,000 in October 2018 and the second for $300,000 in November 2018, after her son had been admitted by UCLA and awarded a 25% scholarship, the Department of Justice release states.

This new arrest comes days after one of the highest profile suspects in the scandal was sentenced.

Actress Felicity Huffman was sentenced to 14 days in prison, ordered to pay a $30,000 fine, and complete 250 hours of community service for paying $15,000 to have someone rig her daughter's SAT score.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Samantha Sergi/ABC News(NEW YORK) -- Renowned ABC News journalist and political commentator Cokie Roberts has died at the age of 75.

Roberts won countless awards, including three Emmys, throughout her decades-long career. She has been inducted into the Broadcasting and Cable Hall of Fame and was cited by the American Women in Radio and Television as one of the 50 greatest women in the history of broadcasting. She was named a "Living Legend" by the Library of Congress in 2008.

"We will miss Cokie beyond measure, both for her contributions and for her love and kindness," her family said in a statement.

Her death was due to complications from breast cancer.

Roberts, born Mary Martha Corinne Morrison Claiborne Boggs, said she got the name "Cokie" from her older brother, who couldn't pronounce Corinne and dubbed her Cokie instead. The name stuck with her ever since.

"Cokie Roberts will be dearly missed," said James Goldston, president of ABC News. "Cokie's kindness, generosity, sharp intellect and thoughtful take on the big issues of the day made ABC a better place and all of us better journalists."

Roberts was "a true pioneer for women in journalism," Goldston said, "well-regarded for her insightful analysis of politics and policy in Washington, D.C., countless newsmaking interviews, and, notably, her unwavering support for generations of young women — and men — who would follow in her footsteps."

She is survived by her husband, fellow journalist Steven Roberts, her children, Lee and Rebecca and her six grandchildren.

Roberts graduated from Wellesley College in 1964 with a degree in political science and began her career in radio as a foreign correspondent for CBS in the 1970s and started covering Capitol Hill for National Public Radio in 1978, reporting on the Panama Canal Treaty.

She was assigned to Capitol Hill full-time in the early 1980s, serving as the network’s congressional correspondent for more than a decade.

Roberts co-anchored ABC’s This Week with Sam Donaldson from 1996 to 2002. She also served as political commentator, chief congressional analyst and a commentator for This Week during her three decades at ABC.

Before joining ABC News in 1988, Roberts spent more than two decades at outlets including WNEW (1968), KNBC-TV (1974-77), CBS News (1974-1977) and NPR starting in 1978. She was also a correspondent for MacNeil-Lehrer Newshour and a contributing senior news analyst for PBS.

Additionally, she wrote eight books, largely focusing on the role of women in American history, many of which were New York Times bestsellers.

She had recently acknowledged a struggle with her health.

"Over the summer, I have had some health issues which required treatment that caused weight loss. I am doing fine," she said in a statement after the This Week appearance. "I very much appreciate the kind comments I have received and expect to be, as I have been, working away in the days and months to come, covering what promises to be a fascinating election. I am grateful to everyone who has been in touch and sent their well wishes. Thanks for caring."

Roberts was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2002 and was successfully treated. When she was diagnosed, she spoke about her longtime work urging women to get regular mammograms.

"Fortunately, in the course of my efforts to inform others about the disease, I learned about the benefits of early detection," she said in a statement at the time, The Washington Post reported. "Now I am the beneficiary of that information."

She told the Post that her cancer diagnosis didn’t give her a newfound perspective on life, because she already had one.

"I had a healthy perspective on life already," she said to The Washington Post. "I have always cared more about family than my career. I lost my father at age 58 in a terrible accident and I lost my sister at age 51. So I didn’t need any extra perspective on life."

During a Facebook Q&A in 2013, when asked what was the best part of her career, she said that her family has been "by far the best part" of her life.

"I’ve been blessed in my life with been a long and happy marriage that produced two wonderful children who have in turn each produced three spectacular grandchildren and that is by far the best part. In terms of career, I’ve been lucky to have many interesting jobs and loved most of them. The ability to develop expertise and then be able to use that knowledge in broadcasting is gratifying. And I find writing books particularly satisfying," she wrote in her response to the Facebook question.

Roberts came from a political family: she was the daughter of (Thomas) Hale Boggs, the former Democratic House majority leader and representative from New Orleans. Her father was also a member of the Warren commission that investigated the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

Hale Boggs died in a plane crash in Alaska in 1972, and his wife – Roberts’ mother – Lindy Boggs was elected to fill her late husband’s congressional seat.

Lindy Boggs was later appointed to be the U.S. ambassador to the Holy See by then-President Bill Clinton in 1997.

Roberts’ siblings also took a liking to politics. Her older brother, Thomas Boggs Jr., was a lobbyist and her sister Barbara Boggs Sigmund was the former mayor of Princeton, N.J., younger brother, William, died as an infant, and her other two siblings have died as well.

In an interview earlier this year, Roberts noted that she was "the only person in my original nuclear family who didn’t run for Congress. Now, they didn’t win all of them – the only one that never lost an election was my mother."

But she filled that void with her foray into journalism.

"I have always felt semi-guilty about it. But I’ve sort of assuaged my guilt by writing about it and feeling like I’m educating people about the government and how to be good voters and good citizens," she told The Washington Post.

Roberts married journalist Steve Roberts in 1966, after meeting at a political event in Ohio four years earlier when they were both in college.

Steven Roberts worked as a reporter at The New York Times for many years, and in a 2017 interview, Cokie Roberts credited her husband as being "my mentor when I started off as a journalist."

"I had always been a good writer, and so I started reporting and writing. He was a big help to me, and we did a lot together," she said for an oral history project developed by the House of Representatives.

Steve Roberts said in a New York Times interview in 2017 that he was "bowled over" by his wife’s intellect.
"Marrying the right person is the single most important decision you’ll ever make in your life. Everything else is secondary. From the very beginning, I knew what an extraordinary person Cokie was," Steve Roberts said in the Times article, which was published to celebrate their then-50 year union in 2017.

The pair got married under an apple tree in the backyard of her family’s home in Bethesda, Md., and then-President Lyndon B. Johnson and first lady Lady Bird were among the 1,500 guests in attendance. The home stayed in the family, and was Cokie and Steve Roberts’ home at the time of her passing.

Full statement from the family of Cokie Roberts:

Her loving family announces the passing of journalist and author Cokie Roberts, due to complications from breast cancer, on September 17.

Born Mary Martha Corinne Morrison Claiborne Boggs on December 27, 1943, Cokie was – first and foremost – a wife, mother, sister, daughter, aunt, cousin and friend.

Cokie’s career as a journalist at National Public Radio and ABC News took her to the heights of her profession, and her success as an author on history and family put her on the best seller list.

But her values put family and relationships above all else.

She is survived by her husband of 53 years, journalist, author and professor Steven V. Roberts, her children Lee Roberts and Rebecca Roberts, her grandchildren Regan, Hale and Cecilia Roberts and Claiborne, Jack and Roland Hartman, along with numerous nieces, nephews, and cousins.

She is also survived by friendships and by causes that she put her time, resources and energy into that are too numerous to count.

We would like to thank the staff at the National Institutes of Health for their dedication, expertise, work and incredible care for Cokie during her illness.

We will miss Cokie beyond measure, both for her contributions and for her love and kindness.

We are hopeful that Cokie now goes to join her parents, former Members of Congress Hale and Lindy Boggs, her siblings Barbara, Tom and William, who predecease her, and her God.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Tuscaloosa Police Dept.(TUSCALOOSA, Ala.) -- A veteran police officer was shot and killed in the line of duty in Alabama Monday night, leaving behind two daughters and his fiancé.

"The ultimate sacrifice of Officer Dornell Cousette will never be forgotten," Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey said.

Officer Dornell Cousette, a 13-year-veteran of the Tuscaloosa Police Department, was on-duty and trying to arrest suspect Luther Watkins, 20, who was wanted on felony warrants, when the two exchanged gunfire in a house, authorities said.

The suspect was also shot and was taken to a hospital for treatment, according to Tuscaloosa's interim police chief, Mitt Tubbs. His condition was not released.

Watkins has been charged with capital murder, according to the Tuscaloosa County Sheriff's Office.

Cousette was the father of two daughters and was engaged to be married, according to Tuscaloosa Mayor Walt Maddox.

"In our community, our heroes wear the police uniform of the Tuscaloosa Police Department," Maddox said at a press conference. "And tonight, one of our heroes has died in the line of duty, protecting our city,"

“He was a great officer," the interim police chief told reporters. "Everybody loved him.”

"Officer Cousette laid down his life in service to the people of Tuscaloosa," Gov. Ivey said in a statement on Tuesday.

"We cannot take for granted the tremendous sacrifices our men and women in law enforcement make each and every day in order to keep us safe," Ivey said. "Because of Officer Cousette’s brave call to action, the felon he pursued now remains in custody."

"Our deepest prayers remain with Officer Cousette’s two children, his fiancé, the Tuscaloosa Police Department, the city of Tuscaloosa and all of our brave men and women who put their lives on the line to ensure the protection of our communities," she said.

Cousette, the first Tuscaloosa officer to be killed in the line of duty since 2011, was also the fourth law enforcement officer to die in the state this year in "a senseless act of violence," said the governor.

Ivey has ordered that flags be flown at half-staff across the state.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

FILE - 00one/iStock(GREEN BANK, W. Va.) -- Astronomers have discovered the "most massive neutron star ever measured," amassing to more than two times the mass of our sun, that they dub "almost too massive to exist," according to a statement from researchers at the Green Bank Observatory.

"A neutron star is what remains when a very massive star goes supernova and dies, it is an extremely dense dead stellar core," Thankful Cromartie, 27, a graduate student at the University of Virginia and Grote Reber pre-doctoral fellow at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory, as well as lead author on the study published Monday in Nature Astronomy, explained to ABC News.

Cromartie and her colleagues at the NANOGrav Physics Frontiers Centered measured the neutron star, dubbed J0740 6620, as 2.17 times the mass of our sun but packed into a sphere only 30 kilometers (approximately 18 miles) wide. This massive weight in the tiny sphere challenges the limits of how compact and dense an object can be without turning into a black hole.

The most massive neutron star ever is millisecond pulsar J0740 6620, weighing in at 2.14 solar masses.

Animation: Bill Saxton, NRAO/AUI/@NSF

— NRAO (@TheNRAO) September 17, 2019

"These city-sized objects are essentially ginormous atomic nuclei. They are so massive that their interiors take on weird properties. Finding the maximum mass that physics and nature will allow can teach us a great deal about this otherwise inaccessible realm in astrophysics," Cromartie said in a statement announcing their findings.

Just a sugar-cube sized piece of this neutron star would weigh 100 million tons on Earth, scientists said.

Cromartie added to ABC News that the discovery of the mass of this star is a big leap forward in understanding these mysterious objects.

"The main reason finding the most massive neutron star ever discovered is significant is because it helps us understand the physics deep inside their interiors," Cromartie told ABC News. "Neutron stars are the second most massive things in the universe after black holes."

"For a long time we thought that neutron stars could only be around 1.4 times the mass of the sun," she added, saying that a few discoveries over the years have challenged this, but the new study "is a pretty big leap forward in terms of discovering more and more massive neutron stars."

"I think the discovery is very compelling because it shows that we can use astrophysical observations as kind of a laboratory in space to do physics that we can't do on earth," she said of the research. "We can't exactly make neutron stars here on earth so the only way we have access to this astrophysics is by observing these neutron stars."

"I think it's a pretty darn cool tool to have access to," she added.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

aijohn784/iStock(LINDENWOLD, N.J.) -- A 60-year-old man has been charged after a 1-year-old girl, of whom he was the legal guardian, died in a hot car in New Jersey, prosecutors said.

Shelton Shambry was charged Monday with fourth-degree abuse and neglect for allegedly leaving the 22-month-old girl in a van at a train station in Lindenwold last month, according to the Camden County Prosecutor's Office.

After a call to 911 on Aug. 16, responders found the little girl unresponsive in her car seat, prosecutors said.

She was pronounced dead at 3:54 p.m. -- less than 20 minutes after the call to 911, prosecutors said, and her manner of death was ruled accidental.

The temperature in Lindenwold reached 87 degrees that day with a heat index -- or what it feels like -- of 92.

Shambry had allegedly put the 1-year-old in the car shortly before 6:30 a.m. that day and forgot she was in there, prosecutors said.

Shambry told police the usual routine was for him to drop the little girl off at day care before bringing a family member to work, but on that morning, the family member asked to be dropped off before heading to the day care, according to court documents.

After bringing the family member to work, Shambry told police he drove home, unintentionally leaving the girl in the car, court documents said.

At about 11:30 a.m., Shambry told police, he left the house for his work shift and drove to the train station -- all while he was unaware the 1-year-old was in the back of the van, court documents said. He told police he parked, locked the van and went to the train, court documents said.

Shambry was charged on a summons and released; he's set to make his first appearance in court on Sept. 26, prosecutors said. He does not yet have an attorney.

At least 41 children have died in hot cars so far this year in the U.S., according to national nonprofit

The group is advocating for Congress to pass the Hot Cars Act to require rear occupant alarm technology in cars.

"Without technology to detect the presence of a child inside a vehicle, hot car tragedies will continue to happen week after week because nobody believes this could happen to them," Amber Rollins, director of, told ABC News last month.

Click here for a list of hot car safety tips.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

FILE - Erin Donalson/iStock(NEW YORK) -- There are now 14 large uncontained wildfires burning in the West, not including smaller fires that broke out Monday.

One of them, the Francis Fire in Davis County, Utah burned up to 200 acres and there were mandatory evacuations for residents in the area, though those have since been lifted since Monday evening.

Tuesday, the cold front that caused all the gusty winds that helped to spread the fire in Utah will continue to move through the West, producing more gusty winds 20 to 60 mph.

There are still Red Flag Warnings Tuesday morning and also high wind warnings from Utah to Wyoming.

Elsewhere, a tropical disturbance in the western Gulf of Mexico will bring very heavy rain to eastern Texas from Houston to just east of Dallas.

The heavy rain will begin Tuesday afternoon and the round of heavy rain will continue into Thursday.

Some areas are expected to see up to 10 inches of rain, especially in Houston, Galveston and up to the Lufkin, Texas area where flash flooding is forecast later Tuesday.

Meanwhile, Hurricane Humberto is moving away from the U.S. but will continue to bring high surf and dangerous rip currents from the Mid-Atlantic to the Carolinas and down to Florida where the waves could be as high as 11 feet.

As Humberto moves east it will pass to the north of Bermuda brining gusty winds and heavy rain to the island where a Tropical Storm Watch has been issued for them.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

NYPD School Safety(NEW YORK) -- A school safety officer with the New York City police was shot dead in her apartment, allegedly by her boyfriend, in an apparent murder-suicide, according to authorities.

Officers responded to reports of an argument and gunshots inside a Fort Greene, Brooklyn, apartment around 11:20 p.m. Sunday, initially treating the call as a possibly armed and barricaded person, according to the New York Police Department (NYPD).

When officers went inside, they found 44-year-old Naire McCormick, an NYPD school safety agent, in her bedroom, shot in the head, police said.

A 47-year-old man was also found dead in the bedroom with a gunshot wound to the head, police said, and a gun was recovered at the scene.

Today is a sad day as we mourn the death of our beloved School Safety Agent Naire McCormick. She will be deeply missed by her friends, family, the youth & faculty she served at her school and her NYPD School Safety Family. #NeverForget

— NYPD School Safety (@NYPDSchools) September 16, 2019

"Today is a sad day as we mourn the death of our beloved School Safety Agent Naire McCormick," officials with the NYPD's school safety department wrote on Twitter Monday. "She will be deeply missed by her friends, family, the youth & faculty she served at her school and her NYPD School Safety Family."

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

KGO-TV(SAN FRANCISCO) -- The Bay Area father of an 11-year-old child has been charged with manslaughter after he allegedly ran over his son with his boat this weekend after he had been drinking.

Javier Burillo, 57, was arrested in Marin County, California, one day after the incident on Sunday near Angel Island, according to authorities.

Burillo is a prominent real estate developer in Mexico and built the swanky Las Ventanas al Paraiso luxury hotel in San Jose del Cabo, according to a Marin Magazine article from 2008. He also owns a home on the exclusive Corinthian Island in San Francisco Bay, purchased in 2004 for $10.2 million, according to San Francisco ABC station KGO-TV.

Burillo's two sons were ejected from his 33-foot, twin-engine boat near Angel Island at about 7 p.m. on Sunday, according to the Marin County Sheriff's Office. When the boater tried to rescue his 27-year-old and 11-year-old sons they were struck by the ship. Both were pulled aboard the boat and taken to the nearby Corinthian Yacht Club where they were met by first responders.

"Tragically and unfortunately, one child sustained severe traumatic injuries as result of this incident and his death was pronounced on the scene at the yacht club, dockside," the Marin County Sheriff's Office said in a statement.

Authorities said they were unsure if the child was swept under the boat after falling off, or when the boat was turned around to find them.

Burillo's 27-year-old son was taken to the hospital with cuts to his legs and is expected to recover.

"It's very difficult. This gentleman is going through unimaginable pain," Tiburon Police Chief Michael Cronin said at a press conference Monday. "And we have no desire to contribute to that, but we need to enforce the law."

Burillo is facing charges of vehicular manslaughter while operating a vehicle, willful harm or injury to a child and reckless or negligent operation of a vessel. Police said he submitted to a breathalyzer test, which he failed.

Burillo posted $1-million bail late Monday afternoon, KGO reported.

"He was operating the boat -- he had that choice -- and the negligent part of it is the alcohol," Cronin said.

"Officers in interviewing him felt they had a probable cause for intoxication," he added. "We enforced the law."

Cronin said an investigation continues and he wasn't sure if Burillo was driving too fast.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

MicroStockHub/iStock(CLEWISTON, Fla.) -- Despite calls from the LGBT community for more information in the wake of the discovery of a black transgender woman burned beyond recognition in Florida earlier this month, authorities say they are reluctant to release details about the investigation into her death.

Police had to use dental records to identify 23-year-old Bee Love Slater after her body was discovered inside of an abandoned car in Clewiston, Florida, on Sept. 4.

Even though it's been nearly two weeks since authorities made the gruesome discovery, the Hendry County Sheriff’s Office, which is leading the investigation, said it's too early to say if her death can be classified as a hate crime.

"We've not been able nail down a possible hate-crime angle, as far as I know," Capt. Susan Harrelle, a public information officer at the Hendry County Sheriff’s Office, told ABC News in an interview Monday.

She also said the sheriff's office was aware of social media reports that speculated Slater had been shot and tied up in the car, but she said there was no evidence to confirm those reports.

Harrelle acknowledged members of South Florida's LGBTQ community have shown frustration with the investigation, but said authorities looking into the case have been extremely reluctant to release information to the public out of privacy concerns.

"They're not releasing a lot of information because it's an active, ongoing investigation. I can only suspect that some of what they're learning is really sensitive," Harrelle said.

Investigators are examining a number of social media posts directed at Slater before her killing, including some that wished death on her, according to The New York Times.

Slater was found just days after 17-year-old Bailey Reeves, who is also transgender, was shot and killed in Baltimore. Police have released few details on that case, but said they do not believe she was the intended target.

At least 18 transgender people, including Slater, have been killed this year, according to the Human Rights Campaign. The group tracked 29 killings in 2018, the most it had ever recorded in a year.

Since 2013, HRC has tracked at least 145 transgender deaths due to fatal violence, with most victims being black transgender women. But the organization said the violence is hard to track due to misgendering -- incorrectly applying gender labels -- and transphobia.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Baltimore Police Department(BALTIMORE) -- Police are searching for a former actor on The Wire who allegedly escaped custody after being taken to a Baltimore hospital last week.

Christopher Clanton Sr. -- who played Savino Bratton in two seasons of HBO's Baltimore-based drama The Wire -- allegedly escaped from police custody on Friday after being transferred to a nearby hospital, police said.

The 33-year-old actor was arrested for allegedly violating a protective order on Thursday, the Baltimore Police Department said.

He was taken to Good Samaritan Hospital on the city's northeast side the next day for treatment for a pre-existing medical condition, the department said.

Police did not offer details on how he escaped, but they said he somehow managed to leave the hospital without notice, sparking a state-wide search.

The department posted two images of Clanton on its Facebook page Friday, asking for the public's help in the search.

"Christopher Clanton, Sr. is 6’ tall and weighs approximately 165 lbs. He is known to frequent the Harford Road corridor," the post said. "Anyone who has seen or knows of Clanton’s whereabouts is asked to call police."

The hospital did not immediately respond to ABC News' request for comment, but a spokesperson for Baltimore MedStar Hospitals, including Good Samaritan, told the Baltimore Sun that she could not answer questions about the incident.

"Our role as a healthcare provider is to ensure every patient who comes through our doors gets the best possible medical care," Baltimore MedStar Hospitals spokesperson Debra Schindler told the Sun. "It would be inappropriate for us to comment on what is truly a police matter."

Clanton played one of the enforcers in Avon Barksdale's crew in The Wire, which took place in Baltimore and charted the daily lives of police officers and criminals for five seasons on HBO.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

mstahlphoto/iStock(NEW YORK) -- Two high school football players died this weekend after sustaining injuries on the field.

Peter Webb, a sophomore at Southwest Covenant in Oklahoma, and Alex Miller, a senior at Roane County High School in West Virginia, both died after sustaining injuries during school football games on Friday.

Officials at Southwest Covenant, a Christian private school west of Oklahoma City, announced Webb's death in a statement Monday, calling him "a servant-leader, always ready to help anyone in need." He was 16.

"As an athlete, Peter played a key role in our football, basketball, and baseball programs, even as an underclassman," the statement said. "Coaches would say that Peter was not only talented, but he worked as hard as anyone. Teachers admired his respect and discipline in the classroom. Classmates loved Peter deeply."

"The character of this young man and the respect we all had for him cannot be contained in words," it added.

It said Webb died "as a result of an injury suffered during the football game on Friday," but it did not elaborate on the nature of his injuries. The Oklahoman newspaper said he appeared to have been knocked unconscious after taking a hit to the head during a tackle.

He sustained the injury during the fourth quarter while playing defense against Strother High School, The Oklahoman reported. Webb tackled the Strother high quarterback from behind, according to the report. As Webb made the tackle, he pulled the quarterback on top of him and fell back on his head, the report said.

He died at the Children's Hospital at OU Medical Center in Oklahoma City on Sunday.

The teenager's death came just two days after Miller collapsed and died on the field in Clay, West Virginia. He was pronounced dead at a local hospital.

Roane County superintendent Richard Duncan confirmed the student's death in an interview with ABC News' Good Morning America on Saturday as his teammates worked to make sense of his sudden passing.

"It's a shock to them. They were there. They were getting ready for the second quarter one moment, and the next moment, Alex was on the ground," Duncan said. "We've had an outpouring of support though from communities both within Roane County and all around the state."

He said Miller did not have any known health issues.

Both students received an outpouring of love on social media. Southwest Covenant's post on announcing Webb's passing racked up more than 1,500 reactions, comments and shares on Facebook in just a matter of hours.

The Roane County School District shared video from a candlelight vigil for Miller, gathering more than 2,500 reactions, shares and comments on Facebook.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- A New York City mother is facing criticism after her toddler was filmed hanging outside the window near an air conditioning unit on the 13th floor of an apartment building.

The video, taken by Bronx resident Jennifer Mares on Saturday evening, shows the child in a diaper clinging onto the window where the 3-year-old boy had just climbed out. Several people below could be heard gasping and urging the child to go back into the residence.

Mares told ABC News that she was with her son at a park outside their apartment building when she heard someone say a baby was in the window. She called police and began filming the incident, but fearing they wouldn't arrive in time, she counted the number of floors and ran into the building, she said.

Mares found the apartment where the toddler lives and banged on the door, which was answered by the child's mother. The child's 14-year-old sister then grabbed him and brought him inside, Mares said.

The boy's mother, who was not named, told New York ABC station WABC that he snuck out while she was making dinner. The boy had pushed the air conditioner aside and crawled through the gap, his mother said.

The mother, who immigrated to New York from Mali, said other residents have been calling her names and telling her she will go to jail.

"God saved my boy, and he will save me from these people," she told the station.

The New York City Administration for Children's Services is investigating the incident, a spokesperson told WABC.

Officials went back to the apartment the next day after receiving reports that the boy had climbed outside the window again, but the mother insisted that bars installed early Sunday morning would have prevented another escape from occurring, according to WABC.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Kaitlin Feriante(CHICAGO) -- A former teacher with Chicago Public Schools has turned her passion for helping children with learning disabilities into an affordable program that aims to help children all across the city.

Kaitlin Feriante and her husband, Andre Feriante, opened the Redwood Literacy program in June 2018 as a summer course with approximately 40 children.

More than a year later, Redwood has not only grown into Redwood Day, a school co-founded by Becky Sinclair and located in Rodgers Park, Illinois, north of Chicago, but also into a partnership and teachers training program called Redwood Grow.

"Things are moving so fast, but like it feels like this was all supposed to happen," Kaitlin Feriante told ABC News.

The school teaches students from first grade to eighth grade and currently has 20 children.

"Redwood Day is considered a transitional school, meaning that they help kids then they transfer back to their mainstream curriculum after a year or two," Feriante said.

Redwood Literacy now functions as an after-school program, where students receive literacy lessons, and Redwood Grow partners with charter schools in the Chicago area, providing funding and one year of curriculum as well as training instructors.

"Our mission is threefold: one, to offer affordable after-school and summer-camp, small-group sessions at around $33 an hour; two, to offer a full-day school program for 20 kids who need it most offering as many scholarships as possible; (and), three to train Chicago Public School teachers as dyslexia practitioners in order to get this intervention to students around the city for free," she told ABC News.

Feriante said she and her husband started Redwood Literacy because they found that courses helping children who suffer from learning disabilities are "marketed at such a high price" and only certain people have them as a resource, leaving others at a disadvantage.

Each program helps individuals with dyslexia, dysgraphia or other literacy-based learning struggles.

Feriante grew up in Albania and said she saw a lot of poverty and struggle. Those experiences influenced her desire to provide affordable education and classroom lessons to children.

She went to school to become a behavioral learning specialist but stopped working in the public school system because she found it hard to teach full time and have a family. Feriante told ABC News that she is focusing on Redwood Grow and more partnerships within schools around Chicago.

 Feriante, now a mother of three, told ABC News that "it feels hopeful and encouraging" when seeing the results and growth of the children who are at Redwood.

Sophie Galeener, 8, a third-grader at Grace Lutheran Church and School in River Forest, Illinois, has dyslexia. She attended Redwood's summer program and then attended Redwood Day for a school year.

Megan Galeener, Sophie's mother, said that school year and program improved her daughter's reading skills and that they changed their lives.

"For the first time, someone understood what we were going through and what our daughter needed," Galeener told ABC News. "They taught her how to read."

Beginning its second year of services, the future seems bright for Redwood Literacy, Feriante said.

"We hope to have multiple affordable after-school centers around the city, especially in or near neighborhoods that are under-resourced. We are planning on opening a second Redwood Literacy location in summer 2020," she said.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Listen Live




On Air Now
Best Country Hits
Best Country Hits
12:00am - 6:00am